We’re delighted that Craig the collie is the first ‘dog with a job’ to take part in our series of interviews for ‘The Pawfessionals’, where we celebrate those four-pawed pals who really make a difference to the humans around them and certainly earn their Scooby snacks.
Craig, with a little help from his faithful human companion, John, has the important job of being the flock controller at the Bideford family theme park, The Big Sheep, keeping those pesky sheep and ducks in order.
Name of dog: Craig the Collie
Dog job description: Part of the show team at The BIG Sheep
Name of human/boss: John the Showman
We asked Craig to give us the lowdown on a typical day in his dog’s life.
- 7:00am - Breakfast in bed and the TV goes on. My favourite programme to watch is ‘One Dog and His Man’
- 9:00am - Team meeting at The BIG Sheep – then out on the farm checking the flock
- Midday - Duck Trials - miniature sheepdog trials involving five Indian running ducks where the children in the audience get to give directions
- 1:30pm - On stage with the sheep – here I get to show off my skills in keeping the woolly wonders under control. I love it because they’re doing what I tell them to do!!
- 3:00pm - Tea n pee – I may do a walk or help get the sheep in for the sheep racing
- 5:30pm - Round up any stray customers and herd towards the exit. Head home - clocking off
- 7:00pm - Put my paws up - Take my place on the sofa, snuggle on my blanket and watch some TV comedy (always looking out for me on ‘You've Been Framed’!)
- 9:00pm - Checking if the flowers in the garden need watering – always available to help with that!
- 11:00pm - Counting sheep!! ZZZZZ
But we couldn't let Craig go without asking him a few more questions.
If you could create your own job title, what would it be?
The Flock Controller!
What time do you wake up for work and where?
Always up at 6.30am – I love my job!
What's guaranteed to make you spring out of bed?
What do you eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner?
My special active dog mix and I always have a Dentastix before bed to keep my pearly whites shining.
What's your favourite walkies spot?
I love walking on the beach at Westward Ho! and when I'm not walking, I’m running as I love to chase poodles which look like a lot like sheep!!
What time do you start work, and where do you work?
I always arrive early - and I am a key part of The BIG Sheep’s award-winning team. I love it.
What does a typical day at work involve?
Being nice to people as well as being at my shiny best when I'm on stage; I really love to be appreciated and particularly love getting my tum tickled.
What do you love most about your job?
Meeting new people and making friends.
What's the most stressful part of your day?
When we get grumpy sheep who won’t go into the pen and do as they’re told at the end of the show! They need to be sent to the friendly man from Sainsbury’s!
What do you do to unwind after work?
I love watching TV with my lord and master.
What are your future career goals?
Sire some future champions before retiring to the comfort of my extra-large bed.
Tell us a fun fact about yourself.
I'm more black than white.
If you fancy seeing Craig hard at work, you need to make a trip to Devon and pay him a visit at The BIG Sheep. And if you need somewhere to stay, take a look at our dog-friendly cottages in North Devon to find somewhere you can sit, stay and lie down on your holiday.