Calling all travel-loving hounds! We’re on the hunt for our next Canine Critic – could it be you?
We were bowled over with applicants last year with more than 50,000 dogs and their owners applying for one of our prestigious roles as a Canine Critic. Thank you so much to everyone who entered.
After much deliberation and a public vote, we narrowed it down to ten impressive winners, each representing their region of Britain.
Our 2019 Canine Critics have done a fantastic job travelling the UK and reporting back to Canine HQ, exploring the finest dog-friendly holidays and sharing their experiences - you can check out their marvellous adventures here.
Willow and Bobby, Amos and Toby, and Penny proudly showing off their Canine Critic 2019 ribbons
We’ve had such a fantastic response to our Canine Critic competition that we’ve decided to do it again, only this time it will be bigger and better than ever!
These ten have trailblazed their way across the UK, sniffing out the best places to go and things to do for dogs, and now it’s time to pass the mantle to our next set of adventurers.
This year, we’re excited to be on the hunt for another TEN top dogs to represent the best of Britain. Yes, we want to recruit ten playful pups to become our ‘paws’ on the ground, exploring the UK and taking in the best that our island has to offer.
And you could be one of them! To apply, head over to our official Canine Critics page.
We are looking for 10 dogs from across the UK that fit these categories:
- Multiple dogs – The Dog Squad
- Influencer – The Superstar
- Unusual – The Rarity
- Small dog – The Mini Mutt
- Big dog – The Bear
- Rescue dog – The Re-homed
- Family dogs – The Clan
- Working dog – The Helper
- Assistance dog/therapy dog – The Hero
- Critics' Choice!
Being a Canine Critic involves travel, fun and a whole lot of photo ops. If you (and your human) can handle all that, then you might be just what we’re looking for.
What makes a great Canine Critic?
We’re looking for a diverse selection of ‘real’ dogs with character and a great story to tell. Personality is waaaay more important than pedigree for this gig! Successful applicants will love to travel, enjoy sniffing out new adventures and not mind posing for photographs. They’ll also need to have a willing human or two on hand to accompany them and document their adventures for our website.
Barney, Honey, and Bear are ready to pass on the mantle after a great year on the job
You’ll be entitled to one paid trip during the year with your owner, where you’ll be expected to act as property inspector and sniff out the finest dog-friendly pubs, attractions and walkies in the area.
We’re counting on our Canine Critic to have their paws on the ground and be ready for every adventure that comes their way. Are you and your human up to the challenge?
Duties and responsibilities:
- Inspect our cottages for dog-friendliness
- Visit dog-friendly attractions, events and days out
- Handle walkies on lots of beaches, hills and towns
- Review a selection of pup products
- Always have your paws to the ground and be ready for adventure
Experience and requirements:
- Must be a minimum of six months old (if you're a tiny pup, come back next year!)
- A love of holidays, car rides, and walkies
- Some experience with blogging/social media preferable
- Flexibility to holiday at off-peak times
Your human is essential - you’ll need to call on them for the following:
- Documenting all holidays through blog posts and social media
- Transporting, feeding, and washing the sandy fur of the Canine Critic after beach outings
- Tummy rubs and cuddles for the Canine Critic on demand
- Aiding the application process to ensure all facts are correct before their paw hits submit
- To converse with other humans at Canine Cottages HQ from time to time if needed
What Critics will win
- Canine Critic #TopDog welcome pack to include a selection of luxury and branded items for both dogs and humans
- Full profile on our ‘Canine Critics’ web page with a link to your social channels
- Exclusive discounts/access to our selection of dog-friendly attractions around the UK
- Free products from our partner brands to review
- 1 free cottage holiday (from a list provided by us)
- Guide to being a Canine Critic
The process is a walk in the park - just head over to our Canine Critics page and click ‘apply now’. We all know paws are no good for typing, so get your human to fill it out to the best of your ability, making sure to include a link to your social media account.
Don’t forget to include your location. We want to hear all about the dogs applying for Canine Critic and the best place you’ve been this year. Perhaps you’ve taken a trip up to one of the fells in the Lake District or maybe your favourite stop was to the local dog-friendly café. What made your tail wag during this trip? Tell us about it!
Finally, attach your favourite doggo photo, one that really shows your unique character, whether that’s a close up of your big eyes and a big nose filling the shot, a capture of you running over fields or a snap of you lolling around on the rug.
After you’ve checked through your details and are happy, select enter and you’ve done it. You’ve applied to join our top dog group of Canine Critics!
Good luck to every pup applying. We can’t wait to meet our new generation of Canine Critics.
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.